Have you ever been to Dysart? Even know where it is? I found it, a few hours drive inland from Mackay. Not much to see as a tourist, but a whole lot to find out as a guest. When I was invited to visit as part of a Theiss community project, here are the things I discovered in Dysart:
- You can run a curry takeaway from your one bedroom unit.
- The local IGA says it “knows what locals want”. But does it? Turns out blondes in Dysart want blonde hair toner more than anything. Oh, and single carrots (what does a single gal need with a whole 1kg packet?)
- The teachers in the high school and primary school are working tirelessly to create a passion for reading and writing in a town dominated by mining families. And they’re winning. They embraced our the short story competition developed to spark local interest.
- Sleeping in a mining donga is quieter than sleeping in most motel rooms.
- Miners from the Lake Vermont mine site volunteer in Grade 3 classrooms to listen to reading on their days off.
- The kids in Dysart will steal your heart away!
Want to come with me when I go back? Thanks Dysart for making me feel so welcome!
‘Miners from the Lake Vermont mine site volunteer in Grade 3 classrooms to listen to reading on their days off.’ How fabulous is that! What a way to make a difference in your school and community!! I am impressed!
Wonderful, beautiful experience Sammy. Keep spreading a love for reading. Xoss